There has been much confusion around the New NC voter ID laws. Here’s what you need to know if you do not have the required ID. When you are asked if you have an ID, answer that you do not and you will be directed to an election official who will ask you to fill out a form asking why you don’t have an ID. You will be asked for the last four digits of your Social security number and then you will be given a paper ballot.
Here are the acceptable reasons for not having ID:
- You do not have a birth certificate.
- You do not have transportation.
- You have work & family responsibilities.
- You have been ill or disabled.
- Your ID was lost or stolen.
- You ordered an ID that did not arrive.
If you note any of these reasons, your ballot MUST be counted.